Hi everyone! I had wanted to try out the Herringbone pattern for a while. Finally, here it is! I absolutely adore the color combination.
I originally made this tutorial for Instagram. You can go to my IG account @ lacquertude directly from my side bar. But, here is the…
(Instructions were edited on Feb 19, 2014 to correct an error. Thanks Jen!)
Prep: Cut all of the nail strips that you will need, using scotch tape. 4 regular width pieces per nail, and skinny strips that you will make the herringbone pattern with (the number of strips will depend on how wide you want the design and the length of your nail).
1. Pick 2 colors. TIP: pick polishes that are opaque and where color 2 can easily layer over color 1. Start with your favorite base coat, then paint your first color and let dry completely (or if you’re impatient like me, apply quick dry top coat here).
2. Cover right half of your nail with regular width tape. Then tape off desired number of thin strips across the left half of your nail at around 45-degree angle. Make sure to evenly space them the same width of your tape.
3. Fill left half of your nail with the second color.
4. Immediately peel off the tape, thin strips first. Then you’re left with the design of half herringbones! Let dry completely (or quick dry top coat!) TIP: To get crisp and clean edges, use tweezers and pull the tape in a straight perpendicular direction to avoid lifting edges of your nail polish.
5. Tape off nail again following step 2 on the opposite side of your nail and make sure you offset the tape to create
6. Fill in second color on the right half of your nail.
7. Repeat step 4 and your herringbone pattern is complete!!
8. You did it! And well done! Now apply topcoat to seal and protect your design and enjoy! (or brag to your significant other and BFF if you’re like me).
Thank you so much for reading!
Δ Lacquers Δ
Δ Base coat: Nail Tek Foundation II (Winners), (also NailPolishCanada)
Δ Orange: Lime Crime Peaches ♥ Cream (International: Harlow&Co)
Δ Blue: Lime Crime Once in a Blue Mousse (International: Harlow&Co)
Δ Top coat: KBShimmer Clearly on Top (International: Harlow&Co)